A few nights ago, I went trough the exercise of reviewing my career/community goals for the new year and I came up with a rather long list of things:
- Speaking. 5 presentations (or maybe more?). Last year was when I got serious about it and ended up delivering about a dozen of them in 7 different cities. It was a lot of fun and I felt it helped me a lot to get to the first stop: feeling confortable in front of an audience. This year, I would like to polish my presentation skills, but I doubt I will be able to commit to present as many times as last year, mainly because I need to reduce time away from family and travel expenses.
- Writing. I am considering 2 different formats this year: Technical articles and blogging. I am thinking I should be able to write 3 articles and to blog an average of 2 or 3 time per month. Again, trying to be conservative to make sure I get enough time for the remaining goals. A stretch goal here is to write some of them in Spanish.
- Helping: I want to increase my contribution to technical forums – perhaps sticking to MSDN SSIS forum for now. This is how I first started contributing to the technical community and something I really enjoy.
- Learning: The wish list here is long, so in order to make it doable I may need to limit myself to 2 new areas/technologies. So, right now, I think any 2 from the list below should make a good goal:
- Data visualization
- Data Quality
- PowerShell (yes, me too!)
- SSIS Denali
Happy new year!